POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HF Erosion : Re: HF Erosion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF Erosion
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Jul 2000 12:29:48
Message: <chrishuff-12226F.11302925072000@news.povray.org>
In article <397DB98D.FDD8D770@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>,
chr### [at] gmxde wrote:

> You must have a really fast computer to suggest those things...

Well, depends on whether or not you consider a 266MHz PowerPC G3 "really
fast". I would call it "fairly fast", and more than adequate for most
uses, but for real number-crunching, you should get a 450MHz G4
Cube...or one of the dual-G4 Power Macs. :-)

> Another nice thing about real 3d-erosion would be that you could
> easily add support for layers of different materials with different
> erodability, you could also think of tectonics, but i would suggest
> to by lots of RAM and a really fast CPU first :-)

*Lots* of ram...since a 3df file is simply 256-bit grayscale, you would
need separate 3df files to specify those other variables. And to get a
large landscape, you would need a fairly high-res landscape file(the
others, like erodability maps, could be much lower resolution).
A 256*64*256 file would equal 4MB...3df doesn't have any compression.
And 512*128*512 would be 32MB. Good thing interpolation is available. :-)

It would help if someone developed a 3D-PNG format...3ng?...though RAM
would still be a problem. I have 96MB, and have bumped into the RAM
barrier a couple times(I have virtual memory set to the minimum, for
speed reasons).

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/